Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Sunday fun


On Sunday I wanted to get a few things done, I set myself a knitting 'to-do' list. I needed to block my  Liaison Tee, and finish the feet on my Arne and Carlos socks, as well as my Thora socks. I also had to do other mundane things like laundry.


I did get 2 out of the 3 done. My Thora socks are done and I blocked my Liaison Tee. I was able to wash and block both of them at the same time. I am waiting for them to dry so I can get some proper pictures of them. Now I just need to put some time in on the Arne and Carlos socks to get those finished. They *should* be done this week... if I don't get distracted by any other projects (which is always a possibility with me).

Monday, April 13, 2015

Liaison Tee WIP


It is pretty hard to get a nice picture of a project on circular needles. Especially when the pattern calls for a 24" cable and you only have a 16", so all you stitches are squished onto the smaller cable.

Oh well, it still works and the Liaison Tee from KnitPicks that I am working on is coming along nicely even with the wrong length cable. 

And yes... that is a WIP that is not socks! Shocking!

Monday, April 6, 2015

Tutu Cake

My co-worker's daughter chose a tutu cake for her birthday party.  The cake would be made by someone who knows how to make beautiful cakes, but it still needed a pretty tutu base to sit on.
I knew that it could be easily done and would need only a few supplies - tulle (a yard of each of the 5 colours), an embroidery hoop and some kind of round base (we ended up using a basket that was turned upside down).
After that it was super easy to make - no sewing, no glue, no special tools. I just cut strips of tulle about 2 inches thick using my rotary cutter (you could easily use scissors). I didn't measure, I just cut. It doesn't have to be exact.
Then I made a tutu using the embroidery hoop instead of a ribbon (there are plenty of tutorials online showing you how to do that). We worked on it together after school for 3 or 4 days for a couple of minutes each time and we finished it with plenty of time to spare. It is so cute and was so easy to make. 


Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Toe the Line Socks - My own Design!


 I have just finished writing out the pattern for my very own sock design! I am really excited to be able to share it with you, and I hope you like it. This is my first time writing out a full pattern for a pair of socks, and they have not been test knit. I am happy to answer any and all questions and inquiries regarding this pattern.


 This design has a simple lace pattern and is knit cuff down. Both socks are knit identical until the heel flap, then the pattern is mirrored so the lace pattern follows the outside of the foot. The lace pattern has both written and charted instructions.

Socks can be made larger by adding an extra repeat of the lace chart.


I knit these sample socks with Malabrigo Sock in Impressionist Sky. I had plenty of yarn leftover and could have easily added another repeat of the lace pattern on the leg. 


I love knitting lace socks and these are the perfect combination of interesting and fun so you don't realize how much you have knit, until - BAM! - you have a pair of socks!

Enjoy this pattern and if you get a chance to knit it, please share pictures of your projects! I can't wait to see.

Get the FREE pattern here.

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Evergreen Socks



I finished another pair of socks this past week (surprise, surprise!) and these might be one of my favourite pairs so far. I love how the colour and the pattern came together to make a perfect combination.


Evergreen Socks:
Yarn: SweetGeorgia's Tough Love Sock in Deep Cove
Needle Size: US 1 1/2 (2.5mm) 9" circulars
Pattern Source:  Evergreen Socks by Madeline Gannon

I added an extra repeat of the lace tree pattern on the leg, and shifted the start of the pattern for the second repeat so that the trees didn't align (see my Ravelry notes for more details).


I just love these socks, they are perfect.

Monday, March 23, 2015

Go Habs Go Socks

 

After frogging my first attempt at these socks (because they were way too small my first go at them), I created a new plan of attack - I cast on an extra 10 stitches and changed the type of heel I did (I did not like the look of the afterthought heel, so I did a regular heel flap. I used yarn from the middle of the ball so I would not disrupt the stripe pattern). It worked! It fits much better this time around and I like the way it looks.


Go Habs Go:
Yarn: Biscotte & Cie's Felix Self-Striping yarn in the Go Habs Go
Needle Size: US 1 (2.25mm) 9" circular needles
Pattern Source:  Knitmore Girls Vanilla Sock (used the pattern very little - but I started with it)


I made no attempt whatsoever to match the stripes for the two socks, but it just happened all on its own! The yarn has some great colour in it, but it is not stretchy at all! I needed way more stitches than I normally do to get them to fit and they are still snug. It was a generous skein of yarn though and I had more than enough yarn to finish these off.


Saturday, March 21, 2015

Tidal Socks


After being on a bit of a knitting break, I seem to have taken a blogging break. I don't know why, I just did not feel like posting, I just wanted to knit and get some projects off my needles. Here is the first finished project in my new knitting spree... and of course it is socks.


Tidal:
Yarn: My Colour Wheelhouse's MCN Fingering in Preppy
Needle Size: US 1 1/2 (2.5mm) 9" circular needles
Pattern Source: Show-Off Stranded Socks by Anne Campbell (free Ravelry download!)


I was tempted to frog the socks and start them over again when I saw how they were pooling, but I am glad I continued. The pooling works great with the pattern and they look really nice.